We have been through several trials over the past month. Its been a good thing; its brought us closer together and closer to the Lord, but not without testing my patience and faith. I would LOVE to just have a glimpse of the big picture of life. It would help me understand why nothing has worked out the way we've planned, and thought things would turn out. Just goes to show I'm not in charge! When I would have liked to have thrown in the towel, Jed reminded me that we just can't give up! So he being a man and loved playing football he relates our situation to that of a football game. So he called in the Punt Team, and said "They better kick it far!" I am so grateful for him, and his optimistic attitude.
Then when we were all wrapped up in our little life of struggles and worries, my brother was in an accident that humbled me in a hurry, and brought things back into perspective. I was also reminded that just because things aren't going as I had somewhat planned, He is still watching out for those I love. Randall was working on a swather when his glove got caught in a chain, and his thumb got cut completely off. He tried to look for it, but he couldn't find it because of the pain and also trying to do things one handed. So he got in the truck and drove himself to the hospital from Duncan. I am amazed at his strength and tolerance of pain! He called my dad hoping he was close by, he wasn't but he was able to call the hired help to go look for the thumb. Luckily, he was able to find it, packed it on ice, and made it to the ER before Randall left for Tucson. They wanted to fly him, but Randall refused. They said he was at least going by ground ambulance, but he again refused. Being self-employed his family doesn't have insurance, so all he could think about was how in the world was he ever going to pay for what was to come....So my mom drove him to UMC where he underwent surgery to re-attach his thumb. Mindy was on a field trip that day with Katelynn's class just up the road from UMC so the buss dropped her off and she waited for Randall and my mom to get there. The surgery was a success!! The surgeon was able to find two veins and one artery to re-attach and hope for the best. They pinned the bones back together just to make sure the finger was going to take. Then in a few months they will go back and reconstruct the bones and knuckle. The next few days were critical. His room had to be 80 degrees and he had to keep hot air blowing directly on his hand, on top of having to wear compression legging things to prevent blood clots, and dressing changes every two hours around the clock to make sure the capillaries were still working. Needless to say he was miserable! Mindy and my mom had to come home to be with the kids and go to work Monday so I found a babysitter and went to be with him. Jed was just getting off work that morning so I met him in town and we headed to Tucson. We had the best day just talking and helping Randall order his meals and adjust to using one hand (and the wrong hand at that!)also just being there for whatever he needed. So happy to say he made it! He passed the four day mark and his finger still had good coloring so they regulated his meds and sent him home just in time for his daughter's Jr. High Graduation. Remarkable!!! Such an example of strength and courage. I know the Lord watches out and takes care of those that are so close to Him.
In a book I've been reading called The Promise of Enough: Seven Principles of True Abundance, Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin explains, "The Lord compensates the faithful for every loss. That which is taken away from those who love the Lord will be added unto them in His own way. While it may not come at a time we desire, the faithful will know that every tear today will eventually be returned a hundredfold with tears of rejoicing and gratitude." Emily Freeman, the author, continues, "God is great. He is greater than any problem, discouragement, or adversity we will face. Even in the midst of trial and disappointment, great blessings of abundance are in store. We must learn to trust God's will for us, but more importantly, we must learn to trust that His will for us is good, and that the promised abundance will eventually come."
"It is our duty to be better today than yesterday, and better tomorrow than we are today."
Bruce R. McConkie
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




4 comments:
So glad Randall is ok. He's definitely been in our prayers. We love your family and are grateful for your example to us! You're amazing! :)
Love this! Glad he's doing alright. Thanks for sharing your faith and thoughts!!
oh Trish, sorry to hear about your brother, I hope all goes well with the reconstruction of his thumb, but I just wanted to say how glad I am that I stopped by your blog today, and how glad I am that you shared this post with us. It is exactly what I needed. love you and thanks again!
Another beautiful post Trish. And yes, I saw I spelled your name wrong in my other comment :)I didn't know the whole story about Randall, glad you recorded it. Amazing. I agree, the Lord blesses those who are close to Him. I am not sure what has been going on in your life, but I know your faith and strength will get you through. You have an amazing family who loves you and you are amazing too. I love you! And love the quote from the book you wrote. Thank you so much. I felt the spirit again.
Post a Comment