"It is our duty to be better today than yesterday, and better tomorrow than we are today."
Bruce R. McConkie

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

All Chickened Out!


When you find a good deal on meat you know its time to stock up to bottle it. We got a smoking good deal on chicken so I ordered a box. My sister wanted a 1/2 of a box, but wasn't able to come and do it. I so told her I would do it for her. So between doing for the two of us, and doing what I already had in the freezer. I trimmed, cut, and bottled 71.44 POUNDS of chicken last week! I did have two cookers going so it didn't take too long...just all day! I was doing it by myself which took longer since I had to stop and help the kids. But they were quite good THANKFULLY so it turned out to be a great day to bottle. I love to see all the jars stacked up when they're done. It makes me feel so productive! It would have been the logical thing to have chicken for dinner that night since I had it out and in the mess, but I just couldn't do it. I was all chickened out for one day!

It made me a little nervous to do any bottling after the week I'd been having. It seemed like everything I went to use broke. I walked in the bathroom; the tank on the toilet was overflowing. That was minor, Jed fixed it right away. Then came laundry day. I got my first load of laundry washed and in the dryer, and it quit. Then I went to vaccum and I burned up the belt. So thanks to Hannah I was able to get my laundry dried. I thought I could make it a couple days until the part came in, but Aisley ended up with a stomach bug that next night and threw up all in her bed so I had to wash bedding too. So back to Hannah's we went! I just couldn't hang it out to dry...I've been spoiled. I like my laundry soft now. Growing up we used to hang everything up to dry, but I've changed my ways, and just couldn't go back! We tried the local appliance repair shop to see if they had the belt we needed for the dryer, but they don't sell parts. They wanted to come fix it too. But that wasn't going to happen when Jed was able to do it. So thanks to EBay we got the parts to fix everything for pretty cheap, just had to wait a few extra days doing it that way. But now everything is back to normal, and laundry is caught up again! Luckily my streak of bad luck ran out before I got to the bottling!

1 comment:

Skinners said...

Yuck! I hate weeks like that! I cannot believe you bottled that much chicken! If I would have known, I would have told you to go get mine and do it! ;)