"It is our duty to be better today than yesterday, and better tomorrow than we are today."
Bruce R. McConkie

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Valentine's Day

This year Valentine's Day was spread over a few days. Aisley and I decided to make some treats. They looked super cute, and were super easy so she was able to help with most of it. So we made a little treat box for the grand parents, some friends we met, Aisley's primary teacher, and sent some to Michelle and Carter's family. I almost talked myself out of sending treats to Illinois just because they would already be 3 or 4 days old by the time they even got there. So I called the Post Master to see for sure when they would get there and he said it would take 3 days...so I decided if the treats are old and nasty its still the thought that counts! Right?! So the fun began! We made sugar cookies, peanut butter balls rolled in chocolate, and turtles. Rigdon actually took a nap all afternoon while Aisley and I were making stuff. It was so much fun. She dumped all the ingredients in, rolled peanut butter balls, got the pecans ready for the turtles, and put the sprinkles on the cookies. When we were making the frosting for the cookies she wanted to turn the mixer on...well I didn't have the top on it so she had powdered sugar EVERYWHERE!! I was laughing, but she didn't know whether to cry or laugh...she just kept saying she was sorry. But once she knew it was ok, she thought it was pretty funny too. So we got that all cleaned up and it was a race to finish and get them in the mail before the post office closed. I felt like I was on Cupcake Wars or something! I frosted the cookies, put them in the freezer to set. Got everything boxed up and raced to the post office. When I got there I had one minute to spare (by my clock anyway). But the window was already closed. Benefits of knowing the Post Master...I asked if we could still send it. Since I could pay cash he went ahead and did it for me...wheh! All that work...its a good thing! Then after allll that they still didn't get our package until Tuesday. Such a bummer, but she said they were still yummy! (Like she would tell me that they weren't.) Since we had to make treats early to get to them, everybody else got their treats early too. It all worked out.

Jed had to work Sunday so when he came home on Monday he brought FLOWERS! Red roses for me, and daisies with carnations for Dolly. They are so pretty we just love them. Then the kids got a little stuffed puppy (since those are the only ones we aren't scared of!) and Rigdon got a tractor book and Aisley got a little puzzle and a notebook to take to church. It was really hard to get anything for them this year. Since they are always with me whenever I go shopping and I can't hide anything from Aisley anymore. She's getting too big. And with Jed I definately can't pull anything off without him knowing. And if he knows what I'm doing then he'll always say no, he doesn't need anything....so I didn't know what to do. So I gave him little notes throughout the day of different things that I love about him. I thought it was fun. Everyone of them caught him off guard, so it always put a smile on his face. I was pretty excited about how I pulled it all off. And didn't cost me anything! Then he took me on a date that night! It was great. We left the kids with my mom and got to spend a couple hours TOGETHER!

1 comment:

Allred's said...

Thank goodness for good ol' Joey....haha....I love surprises or being able to pull them off. I could totally feel your excitement in being able to do something he wasn't expecting already. Our guys always know...dangit. Glad you had a great Valentines!